Sunday, December 11, 2011

Crochet Their Way

Here is one of the reasons I love crochet. A motivated person can jump on their hook, take it for a drive and end up at their destination. Sy and Preston call it "steering."

 When I joined my husband, Richard, in Sy's workshop today, my first impression was definitely that I was in man land. The outside activity was metal forging with a few bricks to contain the fire and a reversed vacuum cleaner for a bellows. Then, inside the shop we stood on a carpet of wood shavings while we examined a couple of  artfully forged knives - an earlier day's work.

 I noticed that Preston's well-fitting hat was crocheted and asked him about it. He enthusiastically told me that he had worked it himself and showed me another in progress.
 It turns out that Sy had recently crocheted a pair of mittens fit for exploring the Yukon and a roomy possibles bag to carry his lunch on a hike.

 That's all you need: yarn, the single crochet stitch and a hook that doesn't need a GPS system to find it's way around. I probably should have asked Richard to take some photos of their metal work but of course my thing is fiber so here are some photos of what I consider some very creative traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment