Tuesday, March 22, 2011

First Knits?



If anyone asks me, "Which would you teach first, knitting or crocheting?" I have to say knitting should come first despite my own particular passion for crocheting. Given a choice, I teach both children and adults how to knit before I teach how to crochet. The main reason is that crochet takes more fine motor development and eye/hand co-ordination. Learning to knit can help pave the way for the creative break-out that crochet provides.

As a knitting teacher, I need a few projects under way: in an effort to explore potential beginner's projects, to try out new yarns, to increase my own skills, and to have uncomplicated projects to work on during classes. The photo in this post is of my last three projects which include: a fingering weight beret, a simple but warm child's helmet and an easy, stylish, garter stitch earlap hat.

2 comments:

  1. Rudolf Steiner, founder of the Waldorf school movement, thought that children should learn to knit before they learn how to write and that they should learn to crochet a year or two after that. I was curious about it and started to observe my own hands and children's hands. It's from those observations that I came to believe he was right. Unfortunately, it leaves crochet in a back seat as if we didn't already have plenty of problems moving crochet forward and garnering respect.

    ReplyDelete