Friday, December 17, 2010

Liam's Hat


I gave Liam his new hat today, the day after our first snow. It fits him well and he likes it. I'm glad. This is my second original hat crocheted with stranded colorwork. The gold-brown color matches his new winter coat and I chose two blues to go with the brown. This colorway is a bit more subtle than his baby stocking cap I made him in green, blue and red.
I had the overall idea for the color patterns in my head when I started this hat but I worked the checked section up intuitively, started the second section and tried it on him. At that point I knew I needed to change to the vertical stripe pattern for the crown and then worked the decreases intuitively according to the pattern. I told Liam that we needed to put something on the top of his hat to show that it is finished, and I asked him whether he would like a pon-pon, a tassel, a crocheted button or a curlicue. And there it is- a classic!



No comments:

Post a Comment