Friday, November 19, 2010

Sill Sweater


It's done! My second sill sweater is finished. This one and the first one are both crocheted, having been inspired by knitter, Kristin Nicholas', work. First I played with graphing out some of the smaller stitch pattern possibilities, while working around the quirkiness of crochet. The very smallest patterns that are used in knitting don't look especially good in crochet; they become blurred in the highly textured nature of the fabric. I also needed to pay attention to which stitches were worked on a back side row and which were worked on the front. It was pretty easy to figure out the repeats since none of these patterns are complex.
Kristin doesn't tend to work with neutral colors but I wanted to see how cream colored yarn could be worked into my first piece. I used it in all the four-stitch checks. The effect reminds me of nautical signal flags.

Then I decided to try a second piece (at the top) in a more condensed colorway and make the sections a little longer. I find the densely packed color very exciting!
I completed each piece by sewing a 7 inch zipper into the seam, crocheting circles for the ends, making a drawstring muslin lining and filling it with dried baby lima beans. For more information about this project see my September 13 post.

1 comment:

  1. These are awesome! And one would be great here as I sit crocheting and feel the draft at my back!

    ReplyDelete