Saturday, March 12, 2011

Thinking Craft

"......lately I have developed also a sense of destination or destiny. And a sense that if I am to be on quest, I must expect to live like a pilgrim; I must keep to the inner path. I must be able to be whoever I am."

"I do not know if I am a philosopher, but if philosophy is the love of wisdom, then I am a philosopher, because I love wisdom and that is why I love the crafts, because they are wise."

" It is not enough to belong to a Society of Friends who believe in non-violence if, when frustrated, your body spontaneously contracts and shoots out of its fist to knock another man down. It is in our bodies that redemption takes place. It is the physicality of the crafts that pleases me. I learn through my hands and my eyes and my skin what I could never learn through my brain."

from CENTERING by Mary Caroline Richards

3 comments:

  1. Good points all! Love that crafts are wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read CENTERING for the first time in my early twenties and was blown away by it then. This is my second read, and now I'm blown away by how much more I understand.

    ReplyDelete