Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Crochet A Hyperbolic Plane

Of course, Liam needed a "Curly" of his own so I asked him what colors he would like and whipped this one up for him. The two playthings I made, one of which I gave to Kate and one to Liam were very easy to crochet. I thought you might like the instructions to make one yourself.

Liam's Curly



Curly 

Materials: 
Good cabled, cotton yarn 
A size G crochet hook (I used a Susan Bates.) 
A yarn needle 
Scissors 

Chain 10. Turn. 
Row 1: Skip one chain and *single crochet in the next chain, single crochet in the next chain, 2 single crochets in the next chain, repeat from the asterisk 2 more times, turn. 
Row 2: Chain 1, single crochet in the first single crochet of the row below, single crochet in the next stitch, 2 single crochets in the next stitch, repeat across the row. To change colors for a striped "curly" pull through the last two loops of the last stitch with the new color. 
Repeat this pattern of single crochet in each of two stitches, two single crochets in the next stitch, for every row, changing colors every two rows (carry the unused colors up the side). Sometimes there will be extra stitches at the end of a row. Single crochet in each one, then after turning start the pattern again. 
I worked ten rows for a piece about 4 1/2 inches across. 

Sew the two flat edges together, incorporating the carried strands.
Thread the needle through the stitches in the center and tighten it up. 
With a contrasting yarn, overcast stitch through the top of each single crochet in the last row. 
Thread in any remaining ends. 


2 comments:

  1. I remember the surprise and pleasure when I shopped fabric with my mother at age 4 or 5 and she asked me to pick out the color....wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was sweet of her. I wonder if your Mom was a strongly visual person? I remember a number of my childhood dresses fondly because I was drawn to their colors.

    ReplyDelete